Wednesday, November 19, 2008

3 Keys To Success

3 Keys To Success
By Leelo-Dianne Bush, PhD

Back in 1978, when I was a junior in college, I was captain of Ohio State Universitys dance drill team. That year the football team won second place in the Big 10 Conference and earned a trip to the Sugar Bowl in New Orleans.

The marching band, cheerleaders and drill team were invited to go as well. However the drill team members each had to raise their own funds to make the trip. My family could not afford to send me yet as the team captain, I felt a strong obligation to be there. More than that, I wanted to go so I had to come up with a creative way to raise the funds. My team co-captain faced a similar dilemma so we decided to join in this effort.

The first thing that came to me was finding sponsors. I considered who I thought might be willing to help and worked to make appointments. I didnt have much luck until one day I got a call back from the office of philanthropist and mega-successful entrepreneur and developer, John Galbraith. His secretary told me he was willing to meet with us.

John was a kindly, older gentleman who loved youth and I found, often donated to the OSU Development Fund. He seemed to like us but before he would help, he wanted to get to know us better. So we set up weekly meetings. Sometimes we would meet at his office and sometimes we would meet for lunch at the exclusive Athletic Club. Once he invited us to his 49,000-acre estate for a tour and to meet former President Gerald Ford before his jet took off from Johns private airport. For Christmas, I made him a special batch of homemade cookies and he gave both me and my co-captain, a thousand dollars for our trips and intricate, solid gold bracelets he had flown in from his Hong Kong office.

These are all great memories, but the best thing John Galbraith gave me were 3 KEYS TO SUCCESS. John had begun to make his fortune during the Great Depression and personified each of these:

1 SINGLENESS OF PURPOSE do one thing at a time and do it to the very best of your ability.2 - TENACITY - keep at it relentlessly, even if you despair. And IF you despair, work on in despair.3 LOVE OTHERS - really love people and treat them as you would like to be treated.

I was blessed to have known John Galbraith and I hope his words inspire you to your own success.

The author, Rev. Dr. Leelo-Dianne Bush, is President & Founder of PCCCA (Professional Christian Coaching & Counseling Academy), the premier, accredited Christian coach training program. She is a speaker and also has a private coaching practice for Christian leaders, business owners, entrepreneurs and solo practitioners. You may contact her at drldbush@pccca.org or visit the academys website at http://www.pccca.org

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Leelo-DianneBush,PhD
http://EzineArticles.com/?3-Keys-To-Success&id=263724

No comments: