Saturday, November 22, 2008

Victory Card: Measuring Success Every Day

Victory Card: Measuring Success Every Day
By Joan Clout-Kruse

Changing my world has always been a challenge for me. Extreme shyness as a kid limited the number of close friends I had. Expressing myself in a classroom or auditorium was #1 on my fear-scale. The things I excelled in at that time were activities I could do by myself such as getting good grades, writing, drawing and roller skating.

Over the years I discovered being an Introvert had its handicaps. For example, I never asked for a raise. My way to get a salary increase was to quit my job and get a better paying oneafter all I could write a killer resume. Yet, the time came when I saw people get a promotion that I knew I was just as qualified to do, except I never spoke up. I figured they would see my good works and promote me. That is not how it happens. You have to speak up, share your ideas, offer solutions to problems, save the company money and let others know what you did. I accomplished these tasks without saying a word.

One day I said, Enough is enough. I had to change. I had to get out of my comfort zone and learn how to express myself without shaking like a leaf. I began attending success-oriented seminars, reading books on the subject, joining organizations and doing my best to reach out to people I would meet although it was hard for me to take the first step.

I found a way to measure my success as I worked on a goal. I wrote on a 3x5 card the following seven statements and carried the card around with me. The card looked like this:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

  • HURRAY! I did it!
  • Wow! Im doing it.
  • Go! Keep on going.
  • YES, I can.

* * * * * * * * *

  • AH. Maybe Ill give it a try.
  • UGH. Im stuck.
  • NO! Absolutely not.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You notice that I cant do it words begin at the bottom. If the bottom three statements were on my mind I knew there was no way I could work on my goal at this time. I would do something else rather than be miserable the whole day. I would give it a try the next day with a better attitude. It was a great feeling to be in one of the top four statements. I knew I had to keep on going while I had that terrific feeling. But be careful, just because you say, Yes, I can, doesnt mean it will happen. You have to get out of your comfort zone to MAKE IT HAPPEN.

The card gave me an awareness of how I was feeling on any given day. I would try harder to reach the next level. It might take months to get to the top depending upon how challenging my goal was.

How about you? Why not create your own 3x5 Victory Card that you can carry around with you? Measure your success every day and you will know when success is just around the corner.

- - -

Joan Clout-Kruse is the author of Top 10 Traits of Silicon Valley Dynamos and the e-books How to Write Your Great Book in 90 Days or less and The ABCs of Success.. Both books help the reader plan and set tasks to achieve their goals--both writing and personal goals. Contact her through her Web site http://powerhousewriting.com or call her at 650 759-2042.

She can help you write a how to book or booklet to attract clients and get recognized as an expert in your field. She presents speaking programs on How to Write a Book Fast and How to Toot Your Own Horn to Get What You Want.

Attention Publishers: Feel free to reprint this article in its entirety so long as you leave the links in place. Please do not modify the content and include the author's name and Web address. Thanks.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=JoanClout-Kruse
http://EzineArticles.com/?Victory-Card:-Measuring-Success-Every-Day&id=116188

No comments: